On September 15, we celebrate the Feast Day of Our Lady of Sorrows. Her name refers to the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary and, therefore, her image is represented by the same number of swords crossing her immaculate heart. She is also known as “Our Lady of Mercy”. The world and people are not always fair to us. It is common to hear stories of people who “took justice into their own hands”. This is not a Christian way. If you have a clear conscience, pray for the one who wronged you, don’t be shaken and believe in divine justice. Trust also in the prayers of Our Lady of Sorrows who underwent sorrowful experiences in life, for she can help you to overcome the pain of feeling wronged and all other wounds: just have faith and believe in her powerful intercession. Ask for her intercession and receive! On this note, I now invite you to join me in the Triduum (Three days of Prayers in Preparation for the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows)
OPENING PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF SORROWS
My Sorrowful Mother, I don’t want to leave you alone to cry, no; I want to accompany you also with my tears. The grace I ask of you today is to obtain for me a continuous remembrance and a tender devotion to the passion of Jesus and to yours, so that all the days that remain of my life, I may make reparations for your pains, and those of my Redeemer, in order to obtain forgiveness, perseverance, and heaven, where I hope to later recreate myself in you for the consolation of my sufferings and sing the infinite mercies of Jesus, for all eternity. Amen.
SCRIPTURAL READING (Jn. 19:25-27)
Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary of Magdala. Seeing his mother and the disciple he loved standing near her, Jesus said to his mother, ‘Woman, this is your son.’ Then to the disciple, he said, ‘This is your mother.’ And from that moment the disciple made a place for her in his home.
The Gospel of the Lord…
THE SEVEN DOLORS (SORROWS) OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
(Culled from EWTN online)
- I grieve for you, O Mary, most sorrowful, in the affliction of your tender heart at the prophecy of the holy and aged Simeon. Dear Mother, by your heart so afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of humility and the gift of the holy fear of God. < Hail Mary…….. >
- I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the anguish of your most affectionate heart during the flight into Egypt and your sojourn there. Dear Mother, by your heart so troubled, obtain for me the virtue of generosity, especially toward the poor, and the gift of piety. < Hail Mary….. >
- I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in those anxieties which tried your troubled heart at the lost of your dear Jesus. Dear Mother, by your heart so full of anguish, obtain for me the virtue of chastity and the gift of knowledge. < Hail Mary…….. >
- I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the consternation of your heart at meeting Jesus as He carried His cross. Dear Mother, by your heart so troubled, obtain for me the virtue of patience and the gift of fortitude. < Hail Mary…….. >
- I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the martyrdom which your generous heart endured in standing near Jesus in His agony. Dear Mother, by your afflicted heart, obtain for me the virtue of temperance and the gift of counsel. < Hail Mary…….. >
- I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the wounding of your compassionate heart, when the side of Jesus was struck by the lance before His Body was removed from the cross. Dear Mother, by your heart thus transfixed, obtain for me the virtue of fraternal charity and the gift of understanding. < Hail Mary…….. >
- I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, for the pangs that wrenched your most loving heart at the burial of Jesus. Dear Mother, by your heart sunk in the bitterness of desolation, obtain for me the virtue of diligence and the gift of wisdom. < Hail Mary…….. >
Let Us Pray
Let intercession be made for us, we beseech You, O Lord Jesus Christ, now and at the Hour of our death, before the throne of Your mercy, by the Blessed Virgin Mary, Your Mother, whose most holy soul was pierced by a sword of sorrow in the hour of Your bitter Passion. Through You, O Jesus Christ, Saviour of the world, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost lives and reigns world without end. Amen.
CONCLUDING PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF SORROWS
Our Lady of Sorrows, I present to you all my needs, sorrows, miseries, and sufferings. O Mother of Sorrows and Queen of Martyrs, who suffered so much to see Your Son scourged, mocked, and killed to save me, accept my prayers in this triduum. Kind Mother, grant me true contrition for my sins and a sincere change of life. Our Lady of Sorrows, who was present at the Calvary of Our Lord Jesus Christ, be also present in my “Calvaries.” I beg you for this grace that I so need (Make your petitions)…
O Mother of Mercy and advocate of sinners, do not fail to support my soul in the affliction and spiritual combat that I am subject to fighting at all times. Our Lady of Sorrows, when the pains and sufferings come, don’t let me be discouraged. Mother of sorrows, wrap me in Your sacred mantle and help me through the valley of tears.
Hail Queen, Holy Mother of mercy, our life, sweetness, and hope! To you, we cry out, the exiled children of Eve. To you we sigh, groaning and weeping, in this valley of tears. Come then, our advocate, turn those merciful eyes of yours to us, and after this exile show unto us, the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus, O merciful, O pious, O sweet ever Virgin Mary.
Pray for us Holy Mother of God that we may be worthy of the promises of Christ.
Our Lady of Sorrows, strengthen me in the sufferings of Life. (3x) Amen.
1. At the cross her station keeping,
Stood the mournful Mother weeping,
Close to Jesus to the last.
2. O thou Mother! Font of love,
Touch my spirit from above,
Make my heart with thine accord.
3. Make me feel as thou hast felt;
Make my soul to glow and melt
With the love of Christ, my Lord.
4. Holy Mother, pierce me through,
In my heart, each wound renew
Of my Savior crucified.
Through the intercession of Our Lady of Sorrows, may Almighty God bless you + the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
👏🏼👏🏼 Great job praying Day 3! May the good Lord hear our humble Prayers!👏🏼👏🏼
ⒸFr. Chinaka Justin Mbaeri, OSJ
Paroquia Nossa Senhora de Loreto, São Paulo, Brazil
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
PS: Have you prayed your Rosary today?